One of the first homes built "outside the city walls" at the end of the seventeenth century was certainly Villa Fragonard.
This elegant late seventeenth century country house, enhanced by a magnificent garden, houses the frescoes and canvases of the famous Grasse painter Jean-Honoré Fragonard (Grasse 1732, Paris 1806), his son Alexandre-évariste (Grasse 1780, Paris 1850), grandson Théophile (Paris 1806, Neuilly-sur-Seine 1876), and sister-in-law Marguerite Gérard (Grasse 1761, Paris 1837).
The collections are organised over three levels opening onto the south side of the garden.
The Provence Art and History Museum is housed in an eighteenth century mansion built by one of the oldest families of medieval Provencal nobility, the Grasse family then Grasse-Cabris combined with the Clapiers. The Marquis Jean-Paul de Clapiers-Cabris married Louise Riqueti (1769), sister of Count Mirabeau (1749-1791), deputy of the Third Estate.
The Provence art and history museum (M.A.H.P.) brings together, in the hotel Clapiers-Cabris, large collections devoted to both everyday life in Eastern Provence since prehistoric times, and Fine Arts and Decorative Arts from the 17th century to the first half of the 20th century.
Nourished by cross reflection between specialists and backers, the International Perfume Museum’s Gardens comply with the imperatives of sustainable development and the Agricultural and Landscape Heritage Interpretation Programme within the Grasse region. In these gardens, crops of species grown traditionally for perfumes lie alongside landscaped areas comprising various collections of fragrant or aromatic plants. Their primary purpose is to contribute to the conservation of the diversity of species traditionally cultivated for perfumery.